We are looking for a Dental Hygienist to help treat patients and promote good oral health practices.
The successful candidate will be based at LIV Durban.
• The Development, implementation and evaluation of oral health promotion programmes;
• Assessment of a patient by means of an interview and an oral clinical examination
• Oral hygiene diagnosis and the development of an appropriate treatment plan within the scope of the profession of an oral hygienist.
• Advising and education of patients about oral self-care practices including mechanical and chemotherapeutic plaque control, nutritional counselling and tobacco cessation.
• Using dental instruments to clean accretions, calcareous deposits, and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums.
• Looking for indications of oral cancer by feeling lymph nodes under patient chins for signs of tenderness or swelling.
• Noting and reviewing patient medical history.
• Using probes to examine and locate periodontal recessed gums and other signs of gum disease.
• Recording dental decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentists.
• Maintaining dental equipment and x-ray machine.
• Feeling and visually examining gums for signs of disease, sores, and other dental health issues.
• Exposing and developing x-ray film.
• Sharpening and sterilizing dental instruments.
• Promoting preventative dental care to improve patient oral health care.
• Applying fluorides and other dental decay prevention agents.
• Liaising and working with dentists and dental assistants.
• Maintaining a dental hygiene program for patients.
• Placement of pre-activated orthodontic appliances, the removal of orthodontic attachments and bands (the placement of removal of elastics and ligature wires, the placement of activation of arch wires)
Job Requirements (including min Qualifications & Experience):
· Bachelor’s degree in Oral Health or Diploma in Oral Health accompanied by certificate accompanied by expanded functions
· Registered Oral Hygienist with the HPCSA in respect of SA Qualification
· 1 Year relevant experience after registration as Oral Hygienist with a recognised foreign Health Professional Council in respect of foreign qualified employees, of whom it is not required to perform community service, as required in South Africa.
· Basic computer knowledge and appropriate software proficiency, good typing ability.
• In-depth knowledge of health and safety regulations in this profession (e.g. HIPAA)
• Experience in preparing and maintaining dental equipment
• Outstanding communication skills
• A patient and friendly personality
• Attention to detail
• Stamina to meet the physical demands of the job
Start Date: 01 March 2023.
Applications must include an updated CV, copy of ID, details of 2 referees and a letter motivating why the applicant should be considered for the position.
Closing date for applications: 28th February 2023
These applications can be sent to the Head of Human Resources on the email address provided.
LIV reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the posts. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the advertised post will result in applicants automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration.