Applicants are invited to apply for the following post:
Head of Department – Senior High – Grade 8,9 and TOC (LIV DURBAN)
We are looking for a suitably qualified innovative, dynamic, and experienced teacher, who has a love and passion for children, to complement our Team.
The successful candidate will:
· be based at LIV Durban.
CORE DUTIES OF THE HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
· The HOD is the first level of management and as such has to guide educators. The HOD must therefore be conversant with the Curriculum Management Guide as well as the Subject Policy for each Subject she manages to ensure that all their requirements and procedures are carried out.
· The HOD must ensure that assessment criteria are drawn up for all types of assessment, including possible answers/ memoranda for tests/ examinations, rubrics, self-assessment, etc.
· The HOD should see to it that at least 10% of all assessment tasks are moderated.
· The CSS personnel will ensure that the HOD is performing his/her task properly and train him/her to develop subject management skills in order to be an effective and efficient manager.
· Internal departmental meetings- Regular internal departmental meetings (at least once per week), chaired by the HOD should be held to discuss management matter.
The HOD will conduct class visits to educators in his/her department with a view to:
· Identify development needs with regard to the educator’s methodology, approach and progress; this includes assisting the educator in problem areas.
· The HOD should be prepared from time to time to invite educators to observe his/her teaching so as to provide a practical demonstration of methodology approach.
· The HOD, in consultation with educators, should involve the Subject Head to assist with the above.
Extra & Co-Curricular duties
§ To engage in class teaching as per workload of the relevant post level and the needs of the school
§ Be responsible for the effective functioning of the department, supervision of the educators and to organize relevant/related extra-curricular activities so as to ensure that the subject or phase and the education of the learners is promoted in proper manner
§ To be a class teacher if required
§ To assess and to record the attainment of learners taught
§ To be in charge of a subject or phase
§ To ensure that curriculum support structures i.e. Subject Committees are in place
§ To ensure that the above mentioned committees meet at least once a term
§ To ensure that minutes capturing issues discussed and decisions taken are kept
§ To jointly develop the policy for that department
§ To coordinate evaluation/assessment, homework, written assignments, etc. of all the subjects in that department
- On the latest ideas on approaches to the subject, method, techniques, evaluation, aids, etc. in their field, and effectively conveying these to the staff members concerned
- On subject framework/learning programme, work schedule, lesson plan, homework, practical work, assessment tasks, remedial work etc
- To newly appointment/inexperienced staff members
- On the educational welfare of learners in the department
Coordination and Control of:
- The work of educators and learners in the department
- Departmental/Leaning Area Reports submitted to the Principal as required
- Mark sheets, test and examination papers as well as memoranda
- The administrative responsibilities of staff members
- Responsibilities of the organization and conducting extra and co-curricular activities
- To advise the principal regarding the division of work among the staff in that department
- To monitor, support and evaluate the performance of educators
To assist with the planning and management of:
- School stock, text books and equipment for the department
- The budget for the department
- Subject, work schedule, lesson plan and all other curriculum related activities
To perform or assist with one or more non-teaching administrative duties, such as:
- Secretary to general staff meeting and/or others
- Collection of fees and other monies
- Staff welfare
To act on behalf of the principal during his/her absence from school
To co-operate with colleagues in order to maintain a good teaching standard and progress among the learners and to foster administrative efficiency within the departments and the schools
To collaborate with teachers of the schools in developing the department and conducting extra-curricular activities
To meet parents and discuss with them the progress and conduct of their children
To participate in departmental and professional committees, seminars and courses in order
to contribute to and, or update one’s professional views/standards
To co-operate with Further and Higher Education Institutions in relation to learners’ records
and performance and career opportunities
To maintain contact with sporting, social, cultural and community organizations
To facilitate the development of policies for his/her department
Closing Date: 26 November 2022
Start Date: 14 January 2023
Applications must include an updated CV, copy of ID, details of 2 referees and a letter motivating why the applicant should be considered for the position.
These applications can be sent to the Human Resources Department on the following email.
LIV reserves the right not to proceed with the filling of the post. An application will not in itself entitle the applicant to an interview or appointment and failure to meet the minimum requirements of the advertised post will result in applicants automatically disqualifying themselves from consideration.