This year the momentum has picked up significantly on all fronts for LIV Lukhanyiso. We have our first full time team member, we’ve had three new corporate donors partner with us, our community engagement partnerships are flourishing and our team is growing! In 2012 when God gave Lara the vision of a village in Grahamstown, He said to her: “You take the LIV vision to Grahamstown and I will bring the provision of resources in people and finances.” And now, seven years later, that is exactly how 2019 has started and what we hope and pray will continue from now onwards as this dream becomes a reality.
For 2019 LIV Lukhanyiso have three key areas of focus which are:
- To grow and strengthen our relationships with the Grahamstown community at large, through various projects of our own and partnering with people in the community who are already running projects in the city of Grahamstown / Makhanda
- Complete the land subdivision and rezoning, receive the Title Deeds for the land, complete the provisional layout for the village and have the bulk services report completed
- Plan and roll out a Marketing and Fundraising strategy to build partnerships and resources for phase one of the Village Development and to raise three salaries for three members of the Leadership Team
LIV Lukhayiso has an incredible, dedicated and committed Board of Directors, who have served since July 2016, the inception of the LIV Lukhanyiso Non Profit Company (Reg NPC: 2016/300279/08).
The LIV Lukhanyiso leadership team is made up of three dynamic women; Nomonde (Mo), Sandy and Lara, who each hold a Master’s Degrees in various fields with extensive experience in their areas of expertise. All three of them are passionate about bringing positive change to the Eastern Cape and whole-heartedly believe that the LIV Vision is the key to large scale change in our poverty stricken province.
In May 2011 Lara Kruiskamp, the visionary of LIV Lukhanyiso, met Tich Smith at a Watoto Choir evening in Ballito where he shared the LIV Vision for South Africa and Lara’s heart was captured. She has been involved with LIV ever since that evening. In 2013 Lara packed up her successful corporate career to pursue a God given dream – to run a marathon on every continent in the world in one year to raise funds to buy land in her home town of Grahamstown to build a LIV Village. In 2014 this dream became a reality when Lara had completed all seven marathons and found the perfect piece of land for the village, but unfortunately it was not for sale. Lara approached the land owner to purchase the 33ha of land using the R200 000 which she had raised as a deposit for the land and she assured the land owner that she would raise the balance of the funds required to purchase the land. In August 2014, Lara’s dream came true when the land owner contacted her and offered to donate the 33ha of land for the Grahamstown LIV Village! Since then Lara has actively, patiently and faithfully been raising further funds and creating awareness for LIV Lukhanyiso.
On the 7th of January 2019, LIV Lukhanyiso welcomed Nomonde (Mo) Ndlangisato their leadership team. Mo has served on the board of directors since the inception of LIV Lukhanyiso and has an incredible heart for the community; especially the children. Her passion for sustainable community development makes her the perfect fit for this team to run all the community engagement projects.
Sandy van der Waalhas been volunteering in a consulting capacity since 2016 and in 2019 Sandy joined the leadership team alongside Mo and Lara. Sandy is currently managing the land use planning component of establishing the village. She is a trained and experienced Environmental Assessment Practitioner (EAP), Geographic Information Systems (GIS) consultant and has a strong background in interdisciplinary project management.
The South African Multidimensional Poverty Index (SAMPI) has measured that the Eastern Cape has the highest poverty level in the country. Key challenges for our province are education, job creation, skills development, sexual health education (regarding STD’s and unplanned pregnancies) and gender equity due to the high number of female headed households. Building community is at the heart of who we are. We exist to bring reconciliation, build capacity through skills development and job creation and to advocate for moral regeneration. Our main goal is to raise the next generation of leaders in South Africa.
- LIV Lukhanyiso has been donated 33ha of landby Makana Brick, a local business in Grahamstown and is in the process of having the land subdivided and rezoned in order to accommodate the necessary building and facilities required on the land for the village. We are planning to break ground in 2021.
- LIV Lukhanyiso has partnered with existing organisations which have paved the way in taking care of the orphan and vulnerable children in our province.
- LIV Lukhanyiso provides on the ground support for the two LIV Thokomala homes in the Eastern Cape.
- Lukhanyiso Arts and Crafts was launched in 2018. A member of the community, who herself was rescued as an orphan at the age three, has been up-skilled in the areas of sewing and entrepreneurship.
- Lukhanyiso Landscaping was launched in 2017 and several members of the community have been up-skilled and have been involved in the beautification of the High Street of Grahamstown and other landscaping projects.
- Many businesses, schools, churches and individuals have heeded the invitation to invest their time, energy and resources into the LIV Lukhanyiso vision and mission to build community, change lives and ultimately build LIV Lukhanyiso village in Grahamstown/Makhanda.
- We have two highly experienced town planners from Citeplan in Johannesburg assisting us with layout plans for the village.
- We are thrilled and so privileged to have Austin Moya, one of the LIV Durban 2018 Gr 12’s in the Eastern Cape this year. Austin is now studying in Port Elizabeth. It’s been wonderful welcome him to the Eastern Cape and to visit him on campus in Port Elizabeth.
- Whenever the opportunity arises, we share the dream and vision.
At capacity, LIV Lukhanyiso Village in Grahamstown/Makhanda will provide holistic residential care for 500 orphan and vulnerable children with the core vision of LIV to rescue a child, restore a life, raise a leader and release a star.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org should you be interested in partnering with us or if you require more details.
The LIV model is long term cluster foster care, where children have a sense of belonging in a supportive community. We place orphaned and vulnerable children into a family environment with a trained foster mother to love them, a school to educate them, and where they receive spiritual discipleship, care and nurturing.
Other ways to give 🙂
Direct Bank Deposit
You are welcome to make a once-off deposit into our account.
Please use your name as the reference on each deposit made and email proof of payment to email@example.com so that we can personally thank you for your generosity.
Bank: First National Bank
Acc. Name: Lukhanyiso Village
Acc. No: 62669421530
Branch Code: 250 655
SWIFT Code: FIRNZAJJ (International Donations)